One of the most important things you can do when you are thinking about purchasing a home is to get in touch with a lender to get your prequalification. The very best homes are sold quickly, sometimes within 48 hours of a listing going public. Buyers who are already prequalified with a lender are often notified via telephone immediately as the agent leaves the listing appointment, giving them the first shot at the best homes at the best prices.
It only takes a few minutes to get the process started, and I am happy to refer you to quality lenders who are familiar with working with Nome. We have agents that specialize in first time homebuyers who will walk you thru the process for FREE!
Spring is a great time to plan for home improvement projects. Certain projects will not only increase your enjoyment of your home, but can also bring down the dreaded heating costs! The following are some suggestions for improving your house with resale in mind.
- Replace windows. (payback at sale is 71% per Remodeling Magazine). A less costly alternative can be to add storm windows, caulk, and weatherstrip.
- Install a new heating system. At the very least, have your system cleaned and reviewed yearly.
- Install more insulation. An energy audit can determine how much more is needed. This is one of the ‘must do’ projects on most folks honey-do list. Most buyers ask what the fuel consumption of a property is BEFORE they even view the property. Having more efficent house definately brings more buyers to your house!
- Repair or replace roof. Metal roofs are prefered by Nome buyers.
- Paint. Exterior paints deteriorate rapidly in our seaside climate. A home that has a fresh coat of paint really stands out in Nome. I recommend Mo’ Mud Mo’ Better for a quality, long lasting finish.
- Plant willows or trees. Especially in Nome, a little landscaping goes a LONG way! When I show a house that has a tree or two in the yard, it always elicits positive comments from buyers. Really want to wow prospective buyers??? Go all out and seed a yard…just remember to keep the grass cut!
- When it comes to artificial light, I recommend switching burned-out bulbs to LEDs, which last longer than incandescents, consume less energy, and have come down in price — now often just $10. Quality has improved, too, and they’re dimmable and available in colors.
While you may not be planning to move or to sell any time soon, these improvements will increase your enjoyment of your home now! Feel free to give me a call to discuss other ways to make improvements you can enjoy now that will benefit your eventual sale!
There is a great loan program for Alaska Natives called the Section 184 loan guarantee program that many people are eligible for here in Nome, and I wanted to ‘demystify’ it a little bit.
First, this program is NOT a direct loan; that means you have to go thru a lender, not thru HUD to apply for the program.
Second this loan program is not restricted to low income borrowers.
low downpayment of 2.25%
no mortgage insurance (PMI)
1% loan guarantee fee (can be rolled into the loan)
Let me know if you would like the names of some lenders who handle these types of loans!
No, I don’t have any land parcels that have lots of trees.
I do however have some lovely patented claims, land that you can mine for gold or gravel, build on, put a runway on, hunt or fish on….
Check out the 628 Acres on the Snake River, or the lovely little cabin on Katie Drive. Closer to Council we have the breath-takingly gorgeous Fox River Subdivision, with 5 acre lots or a whopping 70 acre lot. There are a few trees on that property.
But if you are looking for woods, we only have the Bering Sea National Forest here. … and once the ice goes it does too!